Monday, February 22, 2010

Wedding Bags

Why do I know my psychiatrist would have a field day with this?

It's a bright, sunny day and I am standing in a large, green field. The field is surrounded on three sides by a raised bank giving it an amphitheatre like feel. There is a single tree growing in the field and people are beginning to gather by it. They are all dressed in their finest outfits; the men in smart suits, the women in a mix of long dresses.

I realise that they are dressed for a wedding. They are also all couples, standing together, arms linked, all looking very happy. In their other hands, everyone of them is carrying a plastic carrier bag, such as one gets from a grocery store and indeed this is where they have come from. There are various brand logos displayed on the sides of their bags and all of them appear to contain something dark and heavy (judging by the apparent strain on the handles) but I have no idea what is in them. I have a bag myself, but as with those carried by the couples, I'm not sure what is in it.

At some unseen sign, the couples slowly begin walking up to the tree and each of them sets their bags down before walking out into the field, presumably to take their marriage vows. Pretty soon they are all gone, leaving just me and my bag alone by the tree. I feel sad that I can't go with them, but I am alone and so wouldn't 'fit' there.

I stand by the tree and wonder what to do with myself and my bag? I suppose I should wait here to make sure nothing happens to their bags whilst they are away. So I do that, sitting myself down on the ground beneath the shade of the tree amongst the plastic bags. I sit and wonder when, or perhaps if, anyone will come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment